Wednesday, March 23, 2016

My Rooster Keeps Attacking Me

Monday my rooster Luke came at me.

It was the first time he's been let out of his coop & run since we built it for him. Bo, our other rooster & his flock have been free ranging for a while. But Luke has always been aggressive, honestly he's kind of a jerk... Long story but thus he has his own coop & his own flock.

Luke, the jerk

I'd just got home from running errands. I noticed that Luke & his ladies were over by Bo's coop (we keep them penned in, we were planning on alternating their days out if the experiment was successful). I got some seeds to go feed my chickens but I was distracted by a package that had arrive me the door. I took a picture of it to send to me husband when I was being clawed & flogged by Luke. I was so surprised I turned my back to him. I eventually kick/shoved him back a few feet which didn't deter him at all. I grabbed a nearby branch and fended him off. 

I went inside the house and called my husband. I was practically vibrating with anger. Pat reminded me I can't retreat & I have to attack when he does that. He also laughed at me a bit because Luke has been coming at him for awhile now. 

I decided while talking to Pat that I was going to go back out there & show Luke who was boss. He immediately attacked me again as soon as I went outside & walked to the coop where his flock was still poking around.










He did it again today (Sat 3/6) first thing when I was changing his food. I knew to curb his behavior I had to keep picking him up when he attacks me. 


So I shouted "Come at me bro!" & grabbed him during his attack. When I was trying to grasp him more securely he nearly ripped my glasses off my face & then bit my nose, making it bleed. The little shit.


I went inside. Pat tended to my wounds & I sat holding Luke for a half hour before putting him back in his coop.  



My name is Luke & I'm an asshole. 





Since then he's been confined to his run & coop. We got him four more hens & hopefully that will help him. I also got some advice on dealing with aggressive roosters from BackyardChickens.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment